Monday, March 7, 2011

Reflection #1 for Women's Day


It's International Women's Day tomorrow, March 8, 2011.  Since the start of this month I have been thinking of topics I would like to write about.  After a brief meeting with a good friend a few hours ago, I thought of writing about freedom.  Yes, FREEDOM.

I am sure you have your own idea on what the word "freedom" means.  It could mean freedom from something, or freedom from someone.  It could be anything that seem to hold us back from doing whatever it is that we want to do or happen in our life.

I had this conversation this afternoon with my friend ...

Me:  Know what?  I just discovered that the more I think and become aware of these mindsets inside my head and how most of them are not really aligned with what I hope to happen -- in my career, in my personal relationship, to my financial situation, oh, just everything in my life ... the more I realize there's a lot I need to unlearn and there's just a lot more that I want to learn!

Friend:  That's okay.  That's why we need to be "empty cups" so we can experience life more deeply and happily. We also get to learn more about things we've never considered possible before.

This reveals what freedom means to me now: the freedom to stare back at my beliefs and know that I have the choice on what to continue believing in, which of them I can give up now, and replace them with new ones.

Aside from the idea of freedom FROM something or someone, which I can see are mostly based on the past, I want to look at freedom in relation to what lies ahead.  How about thinking of  having freedom TO DO something, TO ACHIEVE something, and the freedom to strive TO BECOME the best of who we really are.

How about that?

Happy Women's Day to us!


Photo credits:  "Freedom" by Audrey Johnson at stock.xchng

1 comment:

  1. It's great that moving forward, you want to achieve more, do more, and become better. However, that doesn't mean that you have to unbelieve anything. Perhaps, it's just a matter of simple prioritizing and better discipline. Don't be too hard on yourself, you are doing great! ~ W

    ReplyDelete