Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Raving for UP Pep Squad

"Sporting blonde hair and effortlessly executing lifts Madonna-inspired routines, the UP Pep Squad danced their way to the 2011 Samsung Cheerdance Competition title, beating injury-hit De Salle Animo Squad and FEU Cheering Squad for their second straight crown." (The Philippine Star)

Since the UP Pep Squad won champion in the recent UAAP Cheer Dance Competition, I haven't stopped talking about it.  I felt so proud and excited in describing their routine to anyone interested to listen.

I watched the competition on live stream since I wasn't able to buy a ticket to watch it live.   When the first runner-up was announced, I heard the crowd chanting "U-nibersidad ng Pilipinas! U-nibersidad ng Pilipinas!" although it was De la Salle University that got this second place.  Everyone was already anticipating for UP to be declared the winner.  And when UP Pep Squad was finally announced the champion, even those from other universities were also chanting "U-nibersidad ng Pilipinas! U-nibersidad ng Pilipinas!" Goose bumps and teary-eyed ako talaga.  I couldn't explain why.

After showing the video to my youngest daughter, I was surprised to notice how cool she was while watching it.  I was hoping she would be as excited as I am, but instead this is what she said: 

Daughter:  They should have reduced the number of members in the pep squad para hindi kalat ang kanilang performance (so that their movements is more synchronized).

Me:  Oh (looking at her with an amazed look) but they look very synchronized to me.

Daughter:  Okay, yah, there are instances that they are able to move as one but there are many instances that they are not... (and she went back to clearing the dining table as if wala lang :-))

Me:  Hmmm ... (thinking to myself: I think they did it perfectly well.  What's wrong with my daughter? ... and continued watching the video)

Daughter:  Hey Ma, (suddenly facing me) of course you couldn't see the imperfection and mistakes in their routine. (with a grin on her face)  That's your alma mater!  You are biased to your school!

I was about to react to that but then I chose to smile instead because she was right.  I wouldn't be able to see any mistake and even if I did, I could easily find a justification for that.

I want you to watch this video of the UP Pep Squad and see for yourself why I enjoy watching them over and over and still not getting over it.




No comments:

Post a Comment