Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Communicating through music


”Ma, would you like some background music in your blog? I heard this music by Natasha Bedingfield and I think you're gonna like it.”


"I'm not sure if I can do that, Bam. Am still exploring things here."

"Just listen to it first, Ma."

Then she turned on the media player and played the song. When she heard me singing along but with my own improvised lyrics, she hastily showed me the lyrics so I'll get it right.

I immediately fell in love with the song.

I started remembering other instances when songs they play served as my barometer to their 'mood for the day' (oh that rhymes!). And this also became one of our means of communicating with each other. But before I get lost in my reverie, here's the first part of the song...


"Unwritten"
by Natasha Bedingfield

I am unwritten, can't read my mind, I'm undefined
I'm just beginning, the pen's in my hand, ending unplanned

Staring at the blank page before you
Open up the dirty window
Let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find

Reaching for something in the distance
So close you can almost taste it
Release your inhibitions
Feel the rain on your skin
No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in
No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself in words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten Oh, oh, oh

I break tradition, sometimes my tries, are outside the lines
We've been conditioned to not make mistakes, but I can't live that way

....


Passion for writing and music are two of the things I share with my two daughters. Through the years, we were able to develop our respect for the different choices we take, especially when it comes to music.

I think music is one of those means of communication that we can use effectively to express what we want to communicate to others. But come to think of it, it can also be a means to influence our own emotions, too.

UPDATE, 26 December 2007: I have added a few links for readers who are interested on the topic "communicating through music". I hope you find them helpful. I intend to write future blogs on this topic, too. So stay posted.

Links related to the topic:

  1. Why teach music?
  2. The Power of Music in Therapy
  3. Organic Acoustic Music


No comments:

Post a Comment