Monday, November 12, 2007

Yes, I got inflicted by Paralysis of Creativity!!!


Three days to go and it's gonna be one month since I started 'blogging'!

I have to remind myself about this because I've been running around to a standstill for the past 5 days. I've been hit by what I'd call a 'paralysis of creativity'. Ever heard of 'paralysis of analysis' or 'paralysis by analysis'? This is almost similar to that.

The symptoms were already showing as early as Thursday last week. But I tell you, it's not easy to recognize them when you are deeply involved and engrossed with what you are doing. Moreso if you think you are utilizing all your creative energies in it.

I started by following those different links, copied widgets for the sidebar, tried reading html's and javascript, and copied them as well. But I admit it now, this language is so strange and foreign to me, and I don't really understand them at all. Hence, I never knew when I was already committing mistakes while applying them.

After 2 - 3 days, all of my attempts only led to 'failure' and made me more confused than I was before. That was the time I decided to keep it cool, sit down, and just do nothing.

Nope, I am not blaming this on anybody at all. Truth is there were several insights and tips shared by other bloggers. I appreciate their efforts in doing this because they provided me with a map of what lies ahead, of what can possibly be done, and what can be developed along the way.

My big mistake was wanting to do them all at the same time. Blame it on my ignorance and excitement to try what others have accomplished before I came to this new world out here.

But rather than be sad about it, I was even thankful because this helped me realize that what I really wanted to do when I started 'blogging' is simply to explore and to enjoy sharing my thinking-aloud writings here.

I also found out I still like the original look of my blog. This sounds like deja vu for me. After exerting so much effort of changing the layout, still I find myself going back to the 'original' content and layout of this blog.... because I really appreciate it, the way it is.

To pacify my craving for change, "In time," I told myself, "changes and improvements to this blogsite may be necessary. By then, I hope I already know how to do it. And more importantly, I hope to be fully convinced why I need to make those changes in the first place."

So, what have I learned from all of these? Well, for one, I think it is helpful to follow this instruction: "Save your template before adding the following..." It is really very practical to do so and it's also a safety net that allows you to commit all the mistakes that you want and not be afraid to explore and continue to be creative.

Related entries:

1. Are you suffering from ... Paralysis of Analysis?
2. Paralysis by Analysis

No comments:

Post a Comment