Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The impulse to write

Nobody ever asked me about it before but sometimes I stop to think about what it is that makes me want to write.  Have you every thought about this before?

Several answers came to my mind.

  • I write even on small scrap of paper or a tissue for future reference - some scribbles I can look back to when I write about a topic that may be related to what I was thinking at a particular time.
  • I write things that I want to understand and to remember.  I read it somewhere that each one of us has a particular learning style.  Some learn better when they can hear things spoken.  While some of us prefer to read silently, those in this category prefer to read things out loud. Some are more visual-oriented and prefer to draw or see diagrams and illustrations that describe something. Others, like me, learn more by doing and I include writing as part of the act of 'doing'.
  •  I feel that impulse to write something that came with my reverie while the thought is still fresh because I know that once the moment has passed it would be impossible to remember those fleeting thoughts that drop by every now and then.
     
There is also another instance when I really feel I want to write.  I want to describe it this way:
If you noticed it, there is no such thing as 'talking block'.  Yes, we often hear someone say he or she is having a writer's block but not a problem with wanting to say something.  We may not be able to speak this out loud but the flow of thoughts, some sort of an internal conversation continues.
There could also be times when you yourself are taken by surprise by the quality of thought that is running at the back of your mind and make you exclaim: "Hey, that sounds good! Why haven't I thought about it before!"
And then you suddenly grab a pen and try to capture that image or flow of thoughts on a piece of paper.  Others may find it convenient doing this on their IPad or laptop or a netbook, whatever gadget that is available to them.

Now I am thinking how my voice recorder could aid me in doing this.  I would like to experiment on that -- using a voice recorder to capture fleeting thoughts and transcribe them later.

2 comments:

  1. I always admire your writing skills...let me know after you tried using voice recorder because there's also so much I wanted to write but sometimes I struggled how to start...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Aydel! Thanks for your comment.

    Sure, I will be writing a blog post on that. Right now I am still at that stage of GTKY with my recorder.

    Just the same, here's a tip: try the free-writing exercise wherein you keep writing or typing whatever comes into your mind. Don't edit. Just let it be. You can do the editing later. Write with the thought that no one is going to read what you have written.

    Try it!!! And tell me what happens... have a good day!

    ReplyDelete